It's an old school favourite, usually filled with loads of sugars, but not anymore!
A lovely colleague of mine shared this recipe with me which I adapted and included my favourite baking product by Shape Health (you would have seen this used in my previous recipes!).
Note: this cake has no heavy flour therefore is a lot lighter and more moist than you might be used to. the texture is more like a slice, but it's great!
- Shape health whey protein or protein superfood (1/4 cup) vanilla
- almond meal 2 cups
- baking powder 1 1/2 teaspoons
- bi carb soda 1/2 tea spoon
- ground nutmeg 1-2 tablespoons (depending on your taste preference)
- ground cinnamon 1-2 tablespoons
- 10-12 pitted dates
- natural yoghurt 1/4 cup
- pure maple syrup 1/4 cup
- 1 egg
- vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
- carrot 2 cups finely grated
What to do:
- heat dates in small amount of water over stove top, mash dates to form a paste
- combine dry ingredients
- add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix
- add dates and carrott to mixture and combine
- if mixture is too dry, add small amounts of almond milk until a batter is formed. (Most of the time I don't add any milk)
Bake for approx 45 minutes at 160 degrees (fan forced)
Note cake will feel soft and almost soggy, once it cools it will harden slightly, but remain most and soft.